Will pet-friendly amenities soon outrank the quality of area school systems on homebuyers’ wish lists? This is a buyer preference worth watching, as the number of households with pets now outnumber those with children.
- According to an analysis by the National Association of REALTORS®, the share of Americans with pets in their homes was 70% in 2022—up from 56% in 1988. Meanwhile, the percentage of families with children under 18 living in their homes dropped from 48% in 2002 to 40% in 2022.
- While the U.S. birth rate has declined (aside from a slight increase last year), pet ownership has boomed, largely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The most common household pets are dogs and cats.
- The NAR reported that 19% of recent homebuyers factored pets into their neighborhood choice. Of those who did think of pets before moving, the top priorities were acreage (40%), proximity to parks and recreation areas (33%), and walkability (24%).
Why Is Washington, D.C. a Paradise for Pet Owners?
Are you a pet owner looking for the perfect city to call home? Look no further than Washington, D.C.! With its abundance of pet-friendly amenities, beautiful dog parks, and a welcoming community, the nation's capital is an ideal place for pet lovers. In this article, we will explore why D.C. is a great place for pet owners to live, highlighting local dog parks, pet-friendly rental and condo buildings, and the overall pet-friendly atmosphere in the city.
Top Dog Parks in DC
When it comes to outdoor spaces for your furry friends to run and play, D.C. has you covered. The city boasts a plethora of well-maintained and beautiful dog parks. Among the top recommendations are the S Street Dog Park near Dupont Circle, Glencarlyn Park in Arlington, Lincoln Park in Capitol Hill, and Shaw Dog Park in Logan Circle.
These parks provide ample opportunities for your pets to socialize, exercise, and enjoy the outdoors in a safe and friendly environment.
Pet-Friendly Rental and Condo Building Amenities in DC
D.C. understands that pets are family too, which is why many high-end rental and condo buildings in the city cater to the needs of pet owners. These buildings offer a range of amenities designed to make your pet's life comfortable and enjoyable. Some features you can expect to find include:
- Pet grooming stations
- On-site pet daycare and boarding facilities
- Dog-friendly rooftop parks and walking areas
- Pet-washing stations
- Pet-friendly events and social gatherings
Living in a pet-friendly building ensures that your four-legged companion receives the care and attention they deserve while you enjoy the convenience of these exceptional amenities.
A Pet-Loving Community
Washington, D.C. is known for its vibrant and diverse community, and this extends to its pet owners. The city embraces the pet-loving culture, creating a warm and inclusive environment for pet owners and their pets. From pet-friendly businesses to outdoor cafes with designated pet areas, you'll find that D.C. offers a welcoming atmosphere for pets and their owners to explore and enjoy.
Pet-Focused Events in DC
D.C. hosts a variety of pet-focused events throughout the year, providing endless entertainment for both you and pet. From adoption fairs and charity walks to costume contests and agility competitions, there's always something happening for pets in the city. These events allow you to connect with other pet owners, discover new products and services, and create unforgettable memories with your beloved pet.
If you're a pet owner considering a move to Washington, D.C., you'll be pleased to find a city that caters to the needs of both you and your furry friends. With an abundance of dog parks, pet-friendly rental and condo buildings, a welcoming community, and exciting pet-focused events, D.C. offers an exceptional lifestyle for pet owners. Embrace the pet-loving culture and make D.C. your home, where your pet will be valued, cherished, and embraced by a community that understands the importance of pets in our lives.
For more information and assistance in finding your perfect pet-friendly home in Washington, D.C. contact Lou Vivas.
Lou Vivas, Licensed Realtor in MD, DC & VA