Learn more about Ashton Sandy
Ashton-Sandy Spring is a census-designated place (CDP) in Montgomery County,Maryland, United States. The CDP is designated to include the two unincorporated communities of Ashton and Sandy Spring. The two areas, together are comprised of spacious family homes. Ashton is an unincorporated community which hosts a commercial center. A new village shopping center was planned to begin construction in 2006 at the corner of Route 108 and New Hampshire Avenue, where the current Sandy Spring Bank offices are located, consisting of about a 7 to 10-acre (40,000 m2) plot. It would possibly be anchored with a grocery store, as yet undetermined. Sandy Spring, is an unincorporated community which hosts the Sandy Spring Museum, located in the heart of Sandy Spring, is a historical museum offering educational displays and programs.
Ashton-Sandy is located at the junction of Route 108 (Ashton Road) and New Hampshire Avenue (Route 650).
A Little History:
The community was founded by Quakers who arrived in the early 18th century searching for land where they could grow tobacco andcorn. One of the very early land owners in the Sandy Spring area was Richard Snowden, who patented (purchased) the 1,000 acres (4.0 km2) “Snowden’s Manor” in 1715. Snowden gradually enlarged his property with additional land purchases over the next few decades until it was surveyed at over 9,000 acres (36 km2) as “Snowden’s Manor Enlarged” in 1743. Another important early landowner, Major John Bradford, had patented over 2,000 acres in the Sandy Spring area by 1720, including “Charley Forest”, “Charley Forest Enlarged”, “Higham”, and “Discovery.” Bradford sold off large parts of these properties, but Snowden’s son-in-law, James Brooke, later bought up the original Charley Forest land as well as other land in the area, eventually owning over 22,000 acres (89 km2) by the 1760s.
The Quakers built their meeting house in 1817 near a fresh-water spring which gave its name to the community. In the late 19th century the community started a local school called the Sherwood Academy. This school was turned over to the Montgomery CountyGovernment in 1906 to become Sherwood High School, that county’s third public high school. A Quaker school, Sandy Spring Friends School, was established in 1961.
- On-call transportation services
- One-way Commute
Properties in Ashton Sandy
View our selection of available properties in the Ashton Sandy area.